Bulgur is an inexpensive cereal grain that is high in fiber and protein and low in fat and calories. I love bulgur not only for its nutritional benefits but also for its quick cook time and convenience that it can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator. You can toss together any of your favorite raw or cooked vegetables with bulgur to create a delicious and healthy salad :: insalata perfect for summer dinners and ideal for a no-fuss picnic lunch. This time around I added chunks of avocado, crumbled feta, chopped cherry tomatoes all mixed together with a delicious herb green sauce. For a simple, yet, elegant presentation serve the bulgur salad in the avocado shells.
This weekend I was in Rimini, Italy at Al Mèni, a culinary event that promotes handmade food and products. Massimo Bottura, one of Italy’s most famous chefs, led the event that was held in a beautiful circus tent where 24 renowned Italian and international chefs created innovative dishes :: piatti for spectators to try. Also making a surprise visit was Oscar Farinetti, owner of Eataly, an international supermarket offering high quality Italian artisanal products.
Massimo Bottura is well known for his Michelin three stars restaurant, Osteria Francescana, located in Modena, Italy and ranked first in Italy and fifth in the world by the San Pellegrino list of the World’s Top 50 Restaurants. With such a famed presence, I honestly expected him to have a reserved demeanor and to be quite of an snob. Boy, was I wrong! He is an effervescent, playful and comical person. During Al Mèni he flittered from one group of spectators to the next, sprayed his chefs with water from the faucet hose and even invited me, a little food blogger, back in the kitchen for an enthusiastic explanation of the preparation of one of the dishes. Here are just a few pics from this grand event :: evento!
- 1 cup (185g) bulgur
- 2 avocados
- 1 cup (140g) crumbled feta
- 1 cup (170g) chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1 handful parsley (about ½ cup (33g))
- ¼ cup (25g) shelled walnuts
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ garlic clove
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cook the bulgur according to the package’s directions. Slice the avocado in chunks and conserve the shells. Add the avocado chunks, crumbled feta, cherry tomatoes and cucumber to the bulgur.
- Put all of the ingredients into a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth. Add a few spoonfuls at a time to the bulgur salad, depending how strong you want the flavor. Add a few more squeezes of lemon if you want an added burst of freshness. Serve cold.
Have extra herb green sauce? You can use it up with this delicious recipe for green eggs and toast!